Thursday, December 2, 2010

Reverb 10 | December 2 | Writing

Today's Prompt:


December 2 - Writing.
What do you do each day that doesn’t contribute to your writing — and can you eliminate it?
(Author: Leo Babauta)



Oh, boy. How did they know?! Or is it not just me, and everyone secretly dreams of being a published writer someday? 


I want to write books. Badly. Have since I was a wee thing. Spent hours on a type writer late at night when I was ten working on my first novel. It stunk. But it was better than most ten-year-olds first attempts at a novel, so I kept at it.


I have an almost-novel. It's around 80,000 words, typical novel size, but it's nowhere near done. I have a lot of editing and paring down and, you know, writing the ending. It's really hard. 


I was pulled to Karen Kingsbury's site the other night. (KK is my hero, PS. She writes entire novels in weeks.) She's started a new series. Looks awesome. And I remembered, hey, I wanted to do that writing thing too....


So what's been keeping me from it this year? Time. Homework takes up time. Getting married took up a lot of time. And it was easy to stay up writing until 3am when I didn't have to be at work until noon. I just had to go and be a more productive member of society and start work at 8. Shoot.


So... no plan of attack on getting back on board with writing yet. But it's always there, in the back of my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment