Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January the third


One of our "goals" this year is to be more healthy, especially in what we eat. So on December 31st, I spent a good deal of time looking up recipes for all natural or raw foods that we might be able to start incorporating into our diets. This week has been fun to try some new things I wouldn't even have thought to make- like this carrot ginger soup here. Granted, it was still a little bland for my taste (even after adding cumin, red pepper flakes, oregano, garlic salt, and the green onions topping), but it sure felt healthy going down. Chris liked it just fine though, and he even took a big container of it to work with him the next day. I found that a small bowl was great for dipping organic spiced crackers into, and the soup sure made my lunch box smell nice and spicy!

For anyone wanting to check out more of the healthier recipes I've found, here's my Healthy Recipes pinterest board. So far we've also tried the edamame dish and the jazzy pinto beans, both of which weren't amazing, but still came out tasting okay. We're just not used to eating non-processed, non-salted down dinners yet. :(  I do have high hopes for the french lentil soup, though Chris says he's a little "souped out" right now, so it'll be awhile before we try that one. (And I have three containers of my spicy chicken noodle in the fridge right now to go through first.) I did try to make my own chicken stock last weekend, with the leftovers from a grocery store Rotisserie chicken and the odds and ends from some carrots, onions, and celery. It smelled amazing in my kitchen that day. So far we've only used the broth in the carrot soup, so I'm not sure how much different tasting it is than the boxed kind. I'll have to try it in my spicy chicken soup to really compare.

Happy eating this new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment